Thursday, July 7, 2011

Going green... and salty!

My love for old things has left its mark on my kitchen counters.  I had a metal bucket with flowers sitting in the corner (actually trying to cover a stain that was there when we moved in) and when I moved it, there was a terrible rust ring on my counter.  Eeeeeeek!!  I tried to scrub it off but it was NOT coming off!  So, what did I do?  I put an old lamp over it!  Problem solved... or was it?!?! When I moved the lamp to clean under it, there was yet another rust ring!  Geeeez!  
 

I tried cleaning it with CLR, bleach (not together), soft scrub... you name it. NOTHING would save my poor counters. They would be permanently scared.   :-(  I sadly admitted defeat...   

Well... I was surfing today (on the computer, not the water... that's sooo not something anyone wants to see me try!) Anyway, I came across some great sites that listed a bunch of "green recipes". One in particular called EarthEasy caught my eye. Make my own laundry soap for pennies? Heck yea! Carpet cleaner without chemicals... I'm in! As my eyes scrolled down, there it was... RUST REMOVER! Could it be???? 


What magic potion is this? Reading... reading... "Sprinkle a little salt on the rust, squeeze a lime over the salt until it is well soaked. Leave the mixture on for 2 - 3 hours." That's it? Salt and lime juice??!! No way that would work... would it?  I HAD to try!   

 







I pulled out my salt and lime...


  


 
I sprinkled on a thick layer of salt and then squeezed every bit of juice that lime had out.  Unhappy with it, I got out my "fake lime" juice and gave it another squirt.  Then some more salt.

I waited about an hour and had to see what was going on.  I could scrub some off!!!  I quickly covered it back up with the magic potion and let it set another 45 minutes or so.  After a little scrubbing... Ta-da!!!!  It's gone!  

You can still see a faint bit of color here and there, but for the most part, it's gone! The stain that was there... STILL THERE!  Darn it!  At least it looks better than it did! 



So, if you have a rusty stain (I can't be the only one!!), bust out the lime and salt!



Have a fabulous day!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...