Thursday, February 10, 2011

My China Hutch Makeover

This china hutch was passed down from my father-in-law.  Nothing really special, but I wanted to keep it.  The problem? ... the color was very outdated.  So...  I grabbed the paint and off I went!

I can't find the before pictures, which kind of defeats the "before and after" aspect of this, but I wanted to post it anyway.

It use  to be that regular old brown wood with double doors on the front. I removed the doors and all of the glass, which I felt gave it a "Gone With the Wind" feeling... Don't ask me why I call it that, I don't know... romantic maybe???.  I beat the heck out of it with all kinds of torture devices, primed it and then painted it with a lovely green. After that...a creamy white. When it was almost dry, I started distressing it.  I love the way it distresses when the paint is still damp... gives it a REALLY old look, not just worn.  After it dried, I used sandpaper to it and finished it off with some Ralph Lauren faux glaze in tea stain. I just love how it turned out!




I had a great time with this piece.  Now I just have to fill it with all my pretties! 
Smiles,
Jen

UPDATE

I put some pretties in it... It's looking so good!

 
 

3 comments:

  1. In a word...WOW! That is fantastic! I had one of those old hutches that my father felt the need to paint and repaint and then antique it as that was big in the 60's. I finally painted it Shaker green but left the inside the black-streaked red and for some reason, it worked. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks GabsBags! It's great how we can take something that's... "just lovely" and make it into something fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...